The content of the hole. There would be no hole with it.
Cleaned the working place.
It is quite nice and clean sand, I can use it for the remodelling of our garden pond.
Fourth step: Do not drill too deep! The lower side of the groundwater is a watertight layer of some sort. Here it is marl (a kind of clay) of a greyish colour.
The watertight layer here is a greyish marl
There is absolutely no need to drill into it and a waste of time and money (I paid for the meter drilled including the necessary amount of well casing). Also: the lowest part of the well casing is a filter. In most cases it is just the same pipe as the well casing with fine slits (3mm is enough here but your mileage may vary) but there are more expensive solutions, too. Any length of this filter inside the watertight layer if of little use and reduces the area where the groundwater can flow in.
Fifth step: case the well, that is: put a pipe into the hole to avoid the collapse of the whole. The drill string should be hollow to allow for it and needs a drill bit that you can screw out from above.
Well with pipe
Peek into well-hole with pipe (blue) and some elongation (brownish)
The pipe is something you can buy at e.g.: Amazon, at least that’s what I thought but despite a lot of hits for “Brunnenrohr” at amazon.de I got nothing at amazon.com for “well casing” except for the caps for the top.
Sixth step: clean up the whole mess before you go on 😉
Quite a mess!
Next: securing the well with the help of a bag of concrete.
First step: find a good place for it. Hint: dowsing does not work.
Second step: mark it.
It’s just a stick in the ground. The story about the grounded Stick is over at the BBC.
Third step: empty out everything that’s not a hole.
This things costs a fortune and has no build-in level, save an auto-level?
The tomatoes do not grow very well this year.
We should have a nice little hole at this point. As this hole is deep enough to reach groundwater level and beyond we can make a lot more out of it, for example: a well.
A nice little how-to, a bit more useful than this will be put in my next post.
The garden fountain must have eaten too little of the prescribed fiber and suffers from constipation now. The laxative I tried first was an enema, of no avail. The second approach was of chemical nature: a saturated solution of 2-hydroxypropane-1,2,3-tricarboxylic acid in water at a temperature of about 360K, filled in and let it sit over night. That was unnecessary long, groundwater flows, too, I know, but it was the easiest way.
It helped, but not much. I’ll try it one more time next week but I have my doubts.